Friday, July 27, 2012

Spruce up some old jeans? Sure!

Adding Lace Details to Shorts


An easy way to make homemade shorts more interesting (and look more legit) is to give a border to the pant legs or pockets. You will need:
  • Jean shorts
  • Border material (lace)
  • Sewing machine
These were old jeans that I outgrew and cut off to make shorts, but you can obviously use some that were originally shorts to begin with. I chose to girly them up with lace... appropriately so, lace is kind of my thing. I liked pairing the purely white colored lace with the lighter, washed out jeans; a beige lace looked good with the dark wash jeans.














 
On the darker shorts, I sewed a lace border along the newly cut hem line and trimming the edge of the back pockets. Simple enough.


I gave the lighter wash jeans a side detail on each leg. First, I cut a slit along the outer side seam of the pants, no taller than the lace fabric would cover. I just hemmed the shortness I wanted, adding no borders on this pair. Then I sewed the lace onto the split areas. Then I bordered the back pockets with the matching lace.
I am not advocating staying up until the wee hours of the night in order to finish sewing your pieces. I did. I'll probably pay for my lack of sleep, but I'm the kind of person that cannot stand to leave a project incomplete. So here I am at 11:20 p.m. But they're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment