Thursday, June 14, 2012

Defying Dreary

Well, here it all begins. My blogging journey sets sail on a drizzly, dreary day. The past weeks of incredible summer weather (complete with a dazzling sun, bright skies, and perfect breezes) has spoiled me, and now I expect every day to live up to these standards. Unfortunately, these expectations have been puréed into a nasty dampness, which also pretty much accurately describes three days worth of current weather conditions. I don't know about you, anonymous reader, but rainy weather makes me feel absolutely dull and void of all motivation... definitely not the kind of mentality that would encourage a well put together outfit, right? Wrong! It doesn't have to be sunny outside to feel sunny inside. Yes, I do realize how corny that sounds, but it's so very true. One thing I've learned in my years of wardrobing is to not let the weather regulate your choice of clothes. Other than assuring proper warmth and dryness and whatnot, your style should not be caged by a mere cloudy day. In fact, dressing up is one of the only ways I know how to combat Mother Nature's PMS-ing. When you look and feel cute, there's this automatic spread of cheerfulness in your body (that's serotonin for ya') that changes your outlook on the day, making it significantly more peppy. I decided to throw on a dress today and show the climate who's boss! ...that boss would be me.


The beautiful Erin and I took a trip to the neighboring town for some thrifting and antiquing. There were so many gorgeous pieces and unique knick knacks, as to be expected. It's strange to think about how these vintage items weren't always viewed as timeless. At some point, they were common in everyday life, perhaps even modern for the times. Now one looks at the styles and designs of things and is immediately thrown into a world of "back in those days." It really makes me wonder about when OUR generation's stuff will be viewed as outdated. It's approaching faster than you might guess. A few months back, as I was perusing yet another antique store, I found a complete collection of NSYNC bobble head dolls in the midst of all the old. Freaky? I believe so. I personally don't view my younger years as long ago enough to make vintage collectors items out of them!
                               










                                          
Dress: ModCloth, shoes: Wet Seal,
belt: A'Gacipurse: Charming Charlie














I guess this would be a good opportunity to tell a little bit about the city of Manchester, TN, where I happen to currently reside. More than likely, you have never heard of Manchester unless you relate it to the yearly music festival,  "Bonnaroo." That's practically the only reason Manchester is on the map. However, for the other 361 days of the year, Manchester is... how do I put it delicately? It doesn't have much to offer. And I don't mean that in a "oh, it has the quaintness of a small town with undiscovered treasures" kind of way. It literally lacks things to do. Unless you really have passion for farming or Walmart, that is. Coming from someone who thrives in a city, one can easily fall into a flat line of boredom. But I don't want to single out the less than stellar thing about Manchester. It harbors some of the most incredible human beings (who I will eventually be introducing you to), for starters. There are a couple antique shops around here, but my bestie Erin and I generally venture to Tullahoma, the neighboring town, for our thrifting. Manchester does have an arts center on the square, which is a refreshing dash of culture. More importantly, it's a vital part of my life. As a member, I have involved myself in the plays and activities they've hosted for the past three years.
Manchester has potential, it's just a slow-growing society. You have to believe in it and continue to nurture its development, like a mother bird does its young. (Ok, so birds might not have been the most appropriate choice for my analogy, but it was the best I could come up with at the moment.) I will be the first to admit that I didn't believe in Manchester when I first moved here, but this last year has really allowed me to see things differently. 
                                                                                             
Ironically, the day turned into a pretty warm one by the time we got into town. I like to think it was the power of positive energy and our will to make it feel summery that turned it around, because that would obviously just prove my point. The sky was a still, blue-grey, but it was neither cold nor wet. I suppose this would be an acceptable alternative to my ideal weather that I described earlier. In a strange way, the sky seemed to capture the essence of my dress. The feel and color projects "calm," and that's the kind of day it was. 





                                     


1 comment:

  1. You're so cute, little sis! Can't wait for you to move down here so we can frolic in vintage fashion together :)

    ReplyDelete