Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Repurposed



Top/pants: Forever 21,
collared shirt (underneath): thrifted, altered
shoes: Shoe Carnival

 So what if I'm writing this at 2:45 am? Sleep is for the weak. Or maybe it's "sleep is for the week," in which case I've got it all kinds of wrong. Anyways, I simply MUST share with you my latest inspiration. Rouche's newest lookbook, "Under the Tuscan Sun," is utterly gorgeous. I have literally swooned through it a dozen times by now. Besides the fact that I generally love all things Mediterranean (particularly the food), I absolutely adore the essence of everything found within the electronic pages of the lookbook. The colors, patterns, and fabrics have the breezy flow to them, and the clothing combinations? It blows my mind to see the art put into action. Way to go, Rouche. You've won my approval. Of course, it's not like I didn't admire them before. Because I did.

 
While we're on the subject (except not really because I hadn't directly mentioned it), allow me to explain the alterations to the blue, floral collared shirt. When I bought it several years ago, it was originally a dress. Or, sort of a dress. The bottom was a spandex sort of material with ruffled tiers for the "skirt" part. It was an awkward shortness, and I would never have worn it without pants. Needless to say, I preferred it to not look like that, so I removed the skirt section until where the buttons began, and then hemmed along the base. It soon became a short sleeved, button down blouse. The length was a bit shorter than a regular shirt, so it's more of a crop-top, good for layering and whatnot.
 
Before

After



                                    


Necklace: Charming Charlie,
earrings: thrifted,
ring: antique (great grandmother's)



















I LOVE being able to reuse items for new purposes. Whether it be altering thrifted clothes or uncovering treasures from old jewelry, finding a way to make them work brings me joy. In my opinion, incorporating legit vintage items into one's wardrobe is a process that takes continual trial and error. Similar to being able to remix/combine outfits, you must be fearless and just attempt certain things sometimes. More often than not, the result will surprise you for the better. I admire those who are able to do it so effortlessly. Admiration and jealousy are two different concepts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment